Research support

Research support

Archives and Special Collections is open to the University community and the general public for research Monday through Friday, 10 am to 4 pm, unless otherwise noted. You do not need to notify us ahead of time to make an appointment. If you are unable to come during our regular hours, please contact us at least a week in advance of your intended visit and we may be able to accommodate you.

We are here to provide support for your research and will suggest collections or parts of collections relevant to the subject of your research. If you are located outside of the Anchorage area and need to do extensive research within our collections, we are happy to suggest researchers for hire.

If you already know which collections you want to research in the Archives, that is great! Telling the archivist which collections, along with which boxes you would like pulled, is always helpful. You can also browse our Topic Guides, or search through our website. Collection guides, or finding aids, are available on our website for every accessible collection. You can keyword search our collection guides by using the search box at the top of every page. If a term is mentioned in the guide, it should appear in the results page.

Archival material does not circulate and cannot be taken out of the Archives’ Research Room. Food, drink, and pens are also not allowed near the records. If you do not have a pencil, you are more than welcome to borrow one of ours. We also require bags and coats be stored in lockers in the Research Room, as well as any food or drink brought into the area. You can have cell phones, laptops, note paper, or anything else you need to conduct your research with  you. We also allow researchers to take photographs of collection materials, except for those which have access and/or use restrictions. However, we do not allow researchers to bring their own scanners or scan materials themselves.

Customer service standards

Comments are closed