Guide to the C.H. McLeod photograph albums
An Alaska Historical Society collection
Collection number: HMC-1292-AHS.
Creator: McLeod, C.H.
Title: C.H. McLeod photograph albums.
Dates: undated, 1898-1903.
Volume of collection: 0.2 cubic feet.
Language of materials: The materials in this collection are in English.
Collection summary: Photographs of Alaskan life and scenery taken by a man who visited Alaska at the turn of the twentieth century.
Unavailable at this time.
The collection consists of the contents of two turn of the twentieth century photograph albums of C.H. McLeod. The first album has a green cover, labeled “Photographs.” This album contains unlabeled photographs of Alaskan life and scenery from the era. Subjects of the photographs include: men in log cabins and involved in logging; log houses and buildings; railroads with and without train cars; horses and buggies; cows; and a dog. The second album has a brown cover and is unlabeled. Inside the front cover of this album, “Property of C.H. McLeod” is written. The photographs specifically show towns in Alaska such as Valdez, Juneau, Douglas, Homer, Sitka, Seward, Wrangell, Snettisham, St. Michael, Circle. Other locations include: Sheep Camp on the Chilkoot Trail and Bennett, British Columbia. Subjects of the photographs include: buildings in towns with waterfront and mountains visible in the background; men, women, and children; bears in captivity; mining camps; rapids and canyons; and ships, including the S.S. Topeka and S.S. Excelsior and its crew.
Arrangement: The collection is arranged in original order.
Digitized copies: This collection has not been digitized. For information about obtaining digital copies, please contact Archives and Special Collections.
Rights note: Archives does not hold copyright to materials in this collection.
Preferred citation: C.H. McLeod photograph albums, Alaska Historical Society collections, Archives and Special Collections, Consortium Library, University of Alaska Anchorage.
Acquisition note: This collection was donated to the Alaska Historical Society in 2008 by Allen G. Noble. The Historical Society retains ownership of the collection and placed it on deposit in Archives and Special Collections in 2008.
Processing information: This collection was described by Anna Leinweber in 2018.