Guide to the George L. Glotzbach papers
An Alaska Historical Society collection
Collection number: HMC-1236-AHS.
Creator: Glotzbach, George L.
Title: George L. Glotzbach papers.
Dates: 1952, 1956-1957.
Volume of collection: 0.2 cubic feet.
Language of materials: Materials in this collection are in English.
Collection summary: Mostly photographic images of various locations in Alaska.
George Glotzbach was stationed at Elmendorf Air Force Base from 1956-1957. He was the Officer-in-Charge of the Alaskan Air Command’s Anchorage Courier Transfer Station. Glotzbach was a first lieutenant during his time in Alaska, and traveled to Nome, Fairbanks, St. Lawrence Island, and Unalakleet.
The collection contains a map of locations Glotzbach traveled while in Alaska, a “plan ahead” sign sent as postcard, and photographs, a majority of which were taken by Glotzbach while he was stationed in Alaska. They depict St. Lawrence Island and Gambell Airstrip, the Bering Strait and fur seals, Nome, Founder’s Day in Palmer, and Anchorage. The subject of the images taken in Anchorage include the Last Chance Club, the Malemute Saloon fire, Ship Creek, and Fur Rendezvous.
Arrangement: The collection is arranged in the order in which it arrived at the Archives.
Digitized copies: Select images have been digitized and are available on Alaska’s Digital Archives. For information about obtaining digital copies, please contact Archives and Special Collections.
Rights note: Copyright is held by the Alaska Historical Society.
Preferred citation: George L. Glotzbach papers, Alaska Historical Society collections, Archives and Special Collections, Consortium Library, University of Alaska Anchorage.
Works used in preparation of inventory: Biographical information was provided by George Glotzbach.
Separated materials: The Elmendorf Air Force Base telephone directory, dated 1956 August, has been removed from the collection and added to the Consortium Library’s Rare Books collection.
Acquisition note: This collection was donated to the Alaska Historical Society in 2016 by George Glotzbach. The Historical Society retains ownership of the collection and placed it on deposit in Archives and Special Collections in 2016. A deed of gift was signed by Glotzbach. Additional slides were donated to the Archives by George Glotzbach in 2019.
Processing information: This collection was described by Veronica Denison in 2016. Additional materials were added by Veronica Denison in 2019.