Guide to the Max LaLande photographs
An Alaska Historical Society collection
Collection number: HMC-1031-AHS.
Creator: LaLande, Max.
Title: Max LaLande photographs.
Volume of collection: 0.02 cubic feet.
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Collection summary: Photographs of stores owned by the LaLandes in Dutch Harbor and Anchorage.
Max LaLande was born in 1912 and grew up in Nampa, Idaho, where he worked in the family business, LaLande’s Wholesale Bakery. Max LaLande opened a bakery in Unalaska, Alaska, and was there during World War II. He married Aline LaLande in 1945. They lived in Kodiak until moving to Anchorage in 1958 where they owned and operated the Tudor Market and Liquor Store. The LaLandes retired in 1974. Aline and Max LaLande died in Anchorage in 1980 and 1999, respectively.
The collection consists of three photographs taken by or of Max LaLande. The photographs include two black and white prints of Max LaLande’s business, the Unalaska Bakery and Coffee Shop, in 1943, and one color print of the LaLandes’ Anchorage business, the Tudor Market and Liquor Store, taken in 1959. One of the prints shows the sign and street-side exterior of LaLande’s shop in Unalaska. The other is of LaLande cutting out donuts inside the shop.
Arrangement: The photographs are in chronological order.
Digitized copies: This collection has not been digitized. For information about obtaining digital copies, please contact Archives and Special Collections.
Rights note: Copyright status is unknown.
Preferred citation: Max LaLande photographs, Alaska Historical Society collections, Archives and Special Collections, Consortium Library, University of Alaska Anchorage.
Acquisition note: This collection was donated to the Alaska Historical Society in 2004 by Jeff LaLande, Max’s greatnephew. The Historical Society retains ownership of the collection and placed it on deposit in Archives and Special Collections in 2004.
Processing information: This collection was described by Jeffrey Sinnott in 2004. The guide was converted to current standards by Arlene Schmuland in 2015.