ROBERT M. AUGUST. Rampart Canyon Dam Project Papers; 1964-1973. .35 cu. ft.
Robert M. August is from Massachusetts. He graduated from Northampton High School in 1960, and later received a bachelor’s degree in forestry from the University of Maine. August then pursued a master’s degree in natural resources administration from the University of Michigan. While in graduate school in Michigan, he was a research assistant for Professor Stephen H. Spurr, who at the time was Dean of the Department of Natural Resources, and project leader for an evaluation of the proposed Rampart Canyon Dam Project, which was commissioned by a consortium of national environmental organizations. After graduate school, August held the following positions: Natural Resource Planner at the Maryland State Planning Department; Associate with the New England Natural Resources Center; State Land Use Specialist with the Massachusetts Cooperative Extension Service; and Owner and Manager of Nasami Farm in Whately, Massachusetts, grower of ornamental landscape trees, shrubs, and Christmas trees (20 years until retirement). Robert M. August lives in Whately, Massachusetts.
The collection consists of Robert M. August’s papers concerning an evaluation of the Rampart Canyon Dam Project in Alaska. The collection contains: Robert August’s graduate paper concerning the controversy; an annotated bibliography; his political and governmental history of the dam proposal; related reports and papers; correspondence; magazine articles; the four volume report on the project entitled, “Rampart Dam and the Economic Development of Alaska”; clippings of articles; and other miscellaneous papers.
The collection was presented to the archives by Robert M. August in 2005. A deed of gift was signed in 2005.
1. “The Rampart Canyon Dam Controversy, Yukon River, Alaska”; By Robert M. August; Submitted in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirement s for Political Science 635, University of Michigan; Dec. 2, 1964 (37 pages plus appendixes).
2. Selected Annotative Bibliography, Rampart Canyon Dam, Alaska (With Supplementary Bibliography); By Robert August; The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan; Jan. 22, 1965 (54 pages).
3. Political and Governmental History of the Rampart Canyon Dam Proposal; By Robert M. August, Research Assistant, The University of Michigan; May 1965 (45 pages).
4. Chronological Analysis of the Political History of the Rampart Proposal and Identification of Assumption Basic to Arguments For and Against the Project; By Robert M. August; December 17, 1965 (Handwritten draft, 26 pages).
5. Miscellaneous reports and papers; 1964-1965.
-Political and Economic Background to Rampart Canyon Dam Project; By Robert M. August; July 21, 1964 (13 pages).
-First Progress Report, Rampart Canyon Dam Project; By Stephen H. Spur, Professor of Natural Resources, The University of Michigan; Sep. 1, 1964 (3 pages).
-Rampart Conference, January 28 and 29, 1965 (Conference schedule).
-Comparative Analysis of Preliminary Draft and U. S. Department of the Interior Rampart Project Report; The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan; Mar. 5, 1965 (6 pages).
6. Correspondence; 1965.
7. Magazine articles; 1965, 1966.
-“The Plot to Drown Alaska”; By Paul Brooks, The Atlantic; May 1965.
-“The Plot to Strangle Alaska”; By Ernest Gruening, The Atlantic; July 1965.
-“Rampart Dam: A Costly Gamble”; By Stephen H. Spurr, Audubon Magazine; May-June 1966.
8. Rampart Dam and the Economic Development of Alaska, Volume I: Summary Report; Rampart Dam Alaska Economic Development Project, School of Natural Resources, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor; By Stephen H. Spurr, The University of Michigan, Ernest F. Brater, The University of Michigan, Michael F. Brewer, The George Washington University, Justin W. Leonard, The University of Michigan, A. Starker Leopold, University of California, William A. Spurr, Stanford University; Mar. 1966 (62 pages).
9. Rampart Dam and the Economic Development of Alaska, Volume II, Reports 1-6; Rampart Dam Alaska Economic Development Project, School of Natural Resources, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor; Mar. 1966 (Draft report).
-Report 1. Political History of the Rampart Canyon Dam Proposal; By Robert M. August.
-Report 2. Forecasts of Alaska’s Growth in Industry and Population; By William A. Spurr.
-Report 3. Hydrology and Engineering of Rampart Canyon Dam; By Ernest M. Brater.
-Report 4. Effects of Rampart Dam on Wildlife Resources; By A. Starker Leopold.
-Report 5. Fisheries on the Yukon; By Justin W. Leonard.
-Report 6. Bibliography: Rampart Dam and Alaska Economic Development; Robert M. August.
10. Rampart Dam and the Economic Development of Alaska, Volume III, Report 7. The Economic Anatomy and Impact of the Rampart Projects; By Michael F. Brewer; Rampart Dam Alaska Economic Development Project, School of Natural Resources, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor; Mar. 1966 (Draft report, 106 pages).
11. Rampart Dam and the Economic Development of Alaska, Volume IV, Report 8. Electric Power Demand and Supply in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest; By Gunter Schramm; Rampart Dam Alaska Economic Development Project, School of Natural Resources, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor; Mar. 1966 (Draft Report, 119 pages).
12. Clippings; n.d., 1965-1968.
13. Correspondence; 1973.
14. Index to information and handwritten drafts; n.d., Jan. 1965.
15. Rampart Economic Advisory Board: Notes on 1961 and 1962 meetings; n.d.
16. Miscellaneous papers; n.d., 1964, 1969.
-Brief Biographical Sketch of Sen. Ernest Gruening; July 1964.
-Conservtavion Legislative Bulletin, Massachusetts Forest And Park Association; Jan. 8, 1969.
-Letter from Stephen H. Spurr to Robert M. August; Jan. 10, 1969.
-Resource contact list; Aug. 21, 1969.
-Notes on Battelle Memorial Institute personnel; n.d.