LITERARY ARTISTS GUILD OF ALASKA. Records; 1981-1982.
.2 cu. ft.
The Literary Artists Guild of Alaska was established in 1981
by Anchorage poet, Ann Chandonnet, to be a forum for Alaskan writers.
Its activities included organizing workshops and conferences for
Alaskan writers, and promoting and publicizing the works and products
of Alaskan writers. The Guild’s president was Ann Chandonnet.
Board members included literary artists: Albert Ningeulook (Shishmaref),
Mary Baron (Fairbanks), Dale Stirling (Anchorage), Nancy Brown
(Anchorage), and Annie Garrett (Anchorage). The Guild was disbanded
in December, 1982, because of a lack of participation.
The records are arranged in five series. The first series consists
of correspondence, primarily of Ann Chandonnet and Dale Stirling.
The second is of newspaper clippings relating to the organization
and its activities. The third series contains copies of the articles
and certificate of incorporation. The fourth series, Photographs/Graphics,
contains two photographs relating to an organization gathering
as well as their logo and a membership card. The fifth series
consists of the organization newsletter.
This collection was deposited in the archives by Ann Chandonnet and Dale Stirling in 1984.
CORRESPONDENCE (Folder A):
1. Letter dated 2-23-81 to board member Dale Stirling from LAGA
president Ann Chandonnet.
2. Letter dated 3-30-81 to Alaska
Department of Commerce, Division of Corporations from LAGA president
3. Letter dated 3-31-81 to Randall
Ackley, Vice President, Alaska Poetry Society from Stephanie
4. Letter dated 4-15-81 to board
member Dale Stirling from LAGA president Ann Chandonnet.
5. Letter dated 4-17-81 to Carol
Derfner, Director, Anchorage Arts CouncLI from LAGA president
6. Letter dated 4-20-81 to Stephanie
Schoenfeldt, Treasurer, Alaska Poetry Society from LAGA president
7. Letter dated 4-21-81 to Dennis
Walle, archivist, University of Alaska, Anchorage from board
member Dale Stirling.
8. Letter dated 4-24-81 to Ann
Chandonnet, LAGA president from board member Dale Stirling.
9. Memo dated 4-25-81 to LAGA
board members from LAGA president Ann Chandonnet.
10. Letter dated 4-28-81 to LAGA
president Ann Chandonnet from Pat Dye.
11. Letter dated 5-6-81 to Arturo
Jacobs, District Director IRS, from LAGA president Ann Chanddnnet.
12. Letter dated 5-13-81 to Arturo
Jacobs, District Director IRS, from LAGA president Ann Chandonnet.
13. Letter dated 5-30-81 to LAGA
president Ann Chandonnet from Pat Dye.
NEWSPAPER CLIPPINGS (Folder B):
1. “New Poet Laureate writes of Alaska” Anchorage Times.
3-8-81, Section P, pq. I
2. “Alaska Poet Margaret
Meilke Commemorated at Reading” Anchorage Times, 4-26-81,
Section J, pg. 5.
3. “Artists Find Space,
Supplies and Creativity at the Colony” Anchorage Times,
5-31-81, Section I, pg. 1.
4. “Chamber of Conmerce
will Honor the Arts Sunday” Anchorage Daily News, 5-4-81,
Section E, pg. 10.
5. “May 10 Festivities will
Fete the Arts” Anchorage Times 5-3-81, Section E, pg. 1.
6. “Artists Guild Gets Charter”
Anchorage Times, n.d., n.p.
7. “Arts Testimony Scheduled”
Anchorage Times 8-‘L9-81, Section D, pg. 4.
8. “Literary Artists Guild
Meeting Features Variety of Speakers” Anchorage Daily News,
9. “Literary Artists Plan
Workshops” Anchorage Daily News 10-22-81, n.p.
10. “Alaska’s Writers Push
For More Recognition of Works” Anchorage Times, n.d., n.p.
INCORPORATION DATA (Folder C):
1. Certificate of Incorporation dated April 14, 1981.
2. Articles of Incorporation.
PHOTOGRAPHS/GRAPHICS (Folder D):
1. Ann Chandonnet, LAGA President, at the Northway Mall, Honor
the Arts Night, 5-10-81.
2. Dale Stirling, LAGA Board
Member, at the Northway Mall, Honor the Arts Night, 5-10-81.
3. LAGA Logo-1981.
4. LAGA membership card.
LITERARY ARTISTS GUILD NEWSLETTERS (Folder E):
1. Memo #2 dated 10-7-80.
2. Memo # 3 dated 11-3-80.
3. Memo #4 dated 12-29-80.
4. Memo #5 dated 3-15-81.
5. Memo #5 dated 5-28-81.
6. Memo #6 dated 7-27-81.
7. The Upstart Crow, Issue 1,
8. The Upstart Crow Issue 2,
9. The Upstart Crow Issue 3,
Dec. 1981-Jan. 1982.
10. The Upstart Crow Issue 3,
11. The Upstart Crow Issue 5,
12. The Upstart Crow Issue 6,
13. The Upstart Crow Issue 7,
14. The Upstart Crow Issue 8,
15. The Upstart Crow Issue 8,
16. The Upstart Crow Issue 9,
17. The Upstart Crow Issue 10,
18. The Upstart Crow Issue 11,
19. The Upstart Crow Issue 12,